Architect Ettore Sottsass Jr's association with Bitossi began in the mid-1950s, when importer Mr Irving Richard of the Raymor Company in New York asked Sottsass to design new modern ceramics produced by Bitossi.
From 1955 onwards Sottsass designed several collections, some of which were presented at the Galleria il Sestante in Milan, by the Scarzella sisters, including the series of cup-shaped risers, made on a lathe in red or white clay with glossy and matt glazes. (1958). This is followed by the “Bianco e nera” striped collection, made by lathe in white clay with a semi-matt glaze coating (1959). The “Rocchetti e Isolatori” series and the round ashtray, made of white clay on a lathe (1962); as well as the series of vases and step riser, made of white clay and matt glazes (1962-1966). In 1982 these models were reissued by Galleria Il Sestante; when it closed in 1985, Bitossi continued to produce these collections by acquiring the right of distribution.
Over the years, Bitossi has produced other limited edition collections such as: the large Totems (1964-'66 and 1996), the “Lettuce, Rucola e Indivia” plates for Memphis (1981), the Capraia '91 Vase (1991), the Rovine collection for the Design Gallery in Milan (1992), the Kalligraphy collection for the Bruno Bischofberger Gallery in Zurich (1996), and finally the vase and riser collection for Edition Limitée in Paris (1997).